It did do the trick! For once I’ve been very methodic and done lots of tests for light leaks etc before actually exposing, turns out it was worth it. I’ve been so busy building that I haven’t had time for photography but now it’s like a floodgate has opened. Made a few wet plates and developed some film and today I’ve spent all morning in the darkroom printing copies of all those rolls of film I went through autumn and Christmas. I’m doing straight black&white prints but some of them are destined to be lith printed, that will be tomorrow. Maybe I’ll do some cyanotypes to. Why are there only so few hours in a day?
Finally I got some time to do more wet plates and try out my new glass plate holder. With the chicks running around my legs and interesting conversations with the neighbour I completely lost track of exposure but still had a few “keepers”. My neighbour told me about the photographers in the old days who walked around, using the same technique then as I do now, offering portraits on metal for 75 Swedish öre(0.75 SKR). It made me think of a picture I got from my aunt a while back. It’s a tintype of my mammas farfar (my mums granddad) Hildor and my morfar(granddad) Eskil. The photo was taken year 1920.
Note: Maybe I should add…this is an analog technique where the picture needs to be taken while the plate is wet, there of Wet plate. If it’s made on metal it’s called Tin-type, on glass Ambrotype.